Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Pet Portraits

I am very, very good at painting a picture of somebody's beloved cat, dog, horse, bird, or even gerbil. Perhaps it is the half century of practice. I still have those bird paintings I did as a high school student for my parents' kitchen cupboards. My mother had the cupboard doors cut up and each image framed for me after my dad passed away.

Just yesterday a young lady, Meagan, picked up a portrait I painted of her cat, Cleopatra. I got a hug. Now, that is appreciation.

Painting a pet is not the same as painting a person. The artist has to be able to see the personality in the photo, and yes, I do mean photo. You try to get a Siamese to still still long enough to sketch a pose.
I think it is that appreciation that keeps doing these so enjoyable. Seeing the expression of the owner as they look on the painting versus the image they were emailed, is something you never forget.

I do take commissions and I will ship, but be aware, it can cost more to ship a canvas that it did to commission the painting. Packing an oil painting so it arrives unmolested is nowhere near cheap. But if you live in Topeka or near there, that isn't an issue.

The email address is on the brochure

1 comment:

  1. I've been admiring the work you've posted on Nextdoor. It has a photographic quality that I find amazing. Beautiful stuff! And I also appreciate your insights as a former elected official. Thanks for the contributions!

    ReplyDelete